Fibromyalgia syndrome affects the muscles and soft tissue. Symptoms include chronic muscle pain, fatigue, sleep problems, and painful tender points or trigger points, which can be relieved through medications, lifestyle changes and stress management.
Check your Fibromyalgia Status
Fibromyalgia is a condition that has no cure but is easily manageable through proper treatment. The condition in itself has no resulting damages on the body tissues and thus you do not have to worry. For a proper treatment and care for fibromyalgia, various factors must be evaluated that include;
- Individual age, overall health, and patients history
- Severity of the condition
- Patient’s preference or opinion
- Patient’s tolerance to certain medications, procedures or therapies
- Patient’s expectations
Once diagnosed with fibromyalgia, the patient is concerned about how to treat the disease. Since fibromyalgia can never be eliminated it is important for the patient to understand the disease symptoms and know how they can manage the condition. Some of the most effective treatment and care options that help curb fibromyalgia symptoms include regular exercise, a healthy lifestyle, aquatic therapy, just to name a few. They are covered below;
- Exercise-by including regular physical exercise as part of your daily routine, you will be able to manage fibromyalgia. Most fibromyalgia patients have reported a substantial reduction in pain and fatigue after undergoing regular exercises. They also reported improvement in their sleep and moods as well. This is according to a report by the American College of Rheumatology.
- Water therapy-this is also referred to as aquatic therapy. This has been proven to be effective in enhancing sleep duration and mood quality. This therapeutic healer makes use of the physical properties of water as a healer. It is ideal for those individuals who may not like exercises that increase their pain. It can also be used as an initial means of exercise by patients with weight-bearing joint arthritis.
- Minimize stress-this is a treatment option that is effective in treating fibromyalgia. Try to assess your life and fix those things that are causing you pain and stress. Eliminate all causes of stress and modify your lifestyle to avoid the pain you are experiencing. You may use various stress reduction techniques such as counseling, moral support, meditation, or bio feedback.
- Tai Chi Therapy-this is a practice native to the Chinese people. It has been found to be effective in treating fibromyalgia. Its slow and rhythmic movements impact a state of mental calmness and clarity. This therapy has been proven to minimize symptoms, enhance balance and strength, boost flexibility, and improve patient’s quality of life.
- Pain relief-this is another treatment option for fibromyalgia patients. They can take a daily dose of a pain reliever since they are effective. They should seek advice from their physician on the best pain relievers to take. Most physicians recommend tricyclic antidepressants that are used on patients who suffer from depression. These drugs are effective in reducing fatigue, enhance sleep and reduce muscle pain.
- A balanced diet-to better treat fibromyalgia, patients are advised to take a daily balanced diet. Ongoing research is being conducted to analyze the effect of certain foods on fibromyalgia. However, patients are always advised to avoid some foods that cause headaches, fatigue, allergies, digestive disorders, and hyperglycemia.